Don’t let your pups have these holiday treats!

The holiday season is such a special time to spend with our loved ones, including our pets. There are presents and hugs and beautiful lights and, of course, lots and lots of holiday treats! Some of those delicious goodies can be really bad for our pups, however, so be sure to keep them out of reach. Here’s a list of holiday treats to store away from those curious wet noses:

 

Candy: Most candies are sweetened with xylitol. It can cause your dog’s blood sugar to drop and can also cause liver failure. Early symptoms include vomiting, lethargy, and coordination problems. Eventually, your dog may have seizures. Liver failure can happen within just a few days, so it’s best to skip this sweet holiday treat!

Chocolate: Really, really don’t give your dog chocolate, no matter how much they want it! The problem in chocolate is theobromine. It’s in all kinds of chocolate, even white chocolate. The most dangerous types are dark chocolate and unsweetened baking chocolate. Chocolate can cause a dog to vomit and have diarrhea. It can also cause heart problems, tremors, seizures, and even death. So let’s just not.

Nuts: Keep your dog away from macadamia nuts and foods that have macadamia nuts in them. Just six raw or roasted macadamia nuts can make a dog sick. Look for symptoms like  muscle shakes, vomiting, high temperature, and weakness in his back legs. Eating chocolate with the nuts will make symptoms worse, maybe even leading to death.

Bones & Other Table Scraps: Bones can actually rupture the stomach lining and poke the intestines and hurt our dogs very, very badly. They love to chew them but it’s not worth the risk of serious injury. In fact, just don’t give them any table scraps. Even if they want to gobble up that piece of pork fat, they’re digestive system isn’t use to that kind of food and it will most likely cause vomiting and diarrhea, at best, and at worst can lead to pancreatitis.

Caffeine: Anything with caffeine is a no-no. It can kill our adorable furry buddies and we don’t want that. No coffee (obviously) and no cakes or anything that have coffee in them (and no chocolate, which also has caffeine!).

Alcohol: We all have that one silly relative who thinks it’s funny to give the dog a beer, but let’s not and say we did. It takes less alcohol for dogs than humans to cause liver failure and respiratory distress. The smaller the dog, the worse it can be. It may seem like a funny treat for them, but it can actually be dangerous.

Nutmeg: A little nutmeg won’t hurt, but if your best bud gets his paws on the whole jar he just knocked off the counter, it can be very toxic. Just keep all the spices out of reach to be safe.

Free Shipping On All Orders! Dismiss